London’s Heathrow Airport has requested airlines reduce passenger departures to 100,000 per day. Currently, 104,000 passengers depart from the airport daily. London Gatwick Airport has also set similar limits. The passenger cap combined with significant staffing shortages within security and ground transport staff will likely lead to continued delays throughout the summer months. The cap is set to expire 11 September 2022.
In addition to long queues and delays at airports across the UK, staffing shortages have also affected rail and other public transportation workforce resulting in congested roads and significant delays to travel. This is expected to continue over the coming months across the UK, though London will likely concentrate the most significant delays.
• Transportation disruptions and delays
• Limited availability of transportation resources especially air and rail services
• Possible demonstrations at transportation hubs
• Employee unrest resulting in cancelled services
Mitigating Measures to Apply:
• Prepare for local transportation disruptions, such as increased traffic and security, blocked roads, and potential travel into demonstration sites
• Check the local situation (local and social media, embassy, POC at the destination, etc.) prior to travel
• Avoid all protests and demonstrations, which have the possibility of turning violent and may serve as a catalyst for Covid-19 spread
• Allow extra time for travel
• Consider choosing airlines with low cancellation rates
• Avoid flying through severely congested airports or airports with a history of significant delays, when possible
• Strongly consider booking flights directly through an airline as opposed to third party booking services
• Book flights and other transportation services as early as possible
• Monitor local and social media for updates
• Enroll in a Safe Traveler program to receive warnings from your preferred embassy
• Confirm transportation availability and itineraries before departing
• Plan for alternative transportation, if necessary
DISCLAIMER and Hold Harmless Disclaimer: LSDS™ gathers information from multiple sources and offers insight and perspective to travelers. Sources cannot be validated for accuracy in every instance. Travelers assume all risk associated with their travel and are responsible for the decisions associated with travel and for their own safety. Users of this reference document agree, to hold harmless LSDS™ (LLC) its employees and clients associated with any risk or injury incurred during travel.