Unionized rail workers employed by French railway operator SNCF are staging a strike from 22 -24 October to demand higher wages and better working conditions.
Company officials anticipate the strike will prompt the cancellation of 10% of all trains on 22 October, increasing to 20% from 23-24 October. Disruptions are also likely on the inOui and Ouigo TGV trains serving the Centre Val de Loire, Nouvelle Aquitaine, Brittany, Pays de la Loire, and Occitanie regions.
SNCF management has indicated they will contact all persons whose trains are affected by the strike via email or SMS.
• Possible protests or demonstrations at transportation hubs
• Traffic delays due to unavailable services, strikes, demonstrations, etc.
• Blocked roads due to demonstrations
• Limited transportation options
• Follow-on or tandem demonstrations, strikes, or protests
Mitigating Factors to Apply:
• Prepare for disruptions caused by protests, such as increased traffic/security, blocked roads, and potential travel into demonstration sites (i.e. train stations, highways, government buildings)
• Check the local situation (local and social media, embassy, POC at the destination, etc.) prior to travel
• Avoid all protests and demonstration, which have the possibility of turning violent and may serve as a catalyst for Covid-19 spread
• Allow extra time to travel to/from the destination, airport, train station, and accommodations
• Monitor local and social media for updates
• Enroll in a Safe Traveler program to receive warnings from your preferred embassy
• Plan for alternative transportation, if necessary
DISCLAIMER and Hold Harmless Disclaimer: LSDS™ gathers information from multiple sources and offers insight and perspective to travelers. Sources cannot be validated for accuracy in every instance. Travelers assume all risk associated with their travel and are responsible for the decisions associated with travel and for their own safety. Users of this reference document agree, to hold harmless LSDS™ (LLC) its employees and clients associated with any risk or injury incurred during travel.