The Portuguese border agency SEF planned to strike nationwide 31 May to 28 June. Strike times and dates are varied by location and airport.
The Portuguese government ordered the Union to call off the strike due to national security and the impact it would have on the freshly restarted tourism industry.
Though the strikes have officially been called off, there may still be Immigration employees participating. Please check with your airline to confirm if you will be affected and allow additional time to clear border control when entering and exiting Portugal.
• Longer than expected time to clear border control when entering or exiting Portugal
• Delays or cancellations to bus, metro, and suburban rail services
• Possible protests or demonstrations at transportation hubs
• Blocked roads due to demonstrations
• Increased traffic and delays, especially near ports of entry along the border and at airports
• Limited transportation options and disruptions to public transportation
Mitigating Factors to Apply:
• Allow extra time to travel to/from the supplier, airport, and accommodations
• Avoid all protests and demonstration, which have the possibility of turning violent and may serve as a catalyst for Covid-19 spread
• Practice social distancing or wear a mask when it cannot be maintained
• Monitor local and social media for updates
• Prepare for disruptions caused by protests, such as increased traffic/security, blocked roads, and potential travel into demonstration sites (i.e. airports, highways, government buildings)
• Enroll in a Safe Traveler program to receive warnings from your preferred embassy
• Plan for alternative transportation, if necessary
• Adhere to local laws and follow the instructions of law enforcement at all times
DISCLAIMER and Hold Harmless
Disclaimer: LSDS™ gathers information from multiple sources and offers insight and perspective to travelers. Sources cannot be validated for accuracy in every instance. Travelers assume all risk associated with their travel and are responsible for the decisions associated with travel and for their own safety. Users of this reference document agree, to hold harmless LSDS™ (LLC) its employees and clients associated with any risk or injury incurred during travel.