Train employees throughout Germany will go on Strike from 21-25 August after pay negotiations with rail operator Deutsche Bahn Fell through.
Both freight and rail across Germany will be affected by the strike. Deutsche Bahn's cargo drivers began striking on 21 August, while passenger rail strikes are set to begin at 02:00 on 23 August. Employees are expected to return to work the morning of 25 August.
Train employees held a previous nationwide strike from 10-13 August which resulted in significant disruptions to the rail services.
• Delays or cancellations of travel reservations lasting several hours prior to and after the strike
• Possible protests or demonstrations at transportation hubs
• Traffic delays due to unavailable services, strikes, demonstrations, etc.
• Blocked roads due to demonstrations
• Limited transportation options
Mitigating Factors to Apply:
• Prepare for disruptions caused by protests, such as increased traffic/security, blocked roads, and potential travel into demonstration sites (i.e. train stations, highways, government buildings)
• Check the local situation (local and social media, embassy, POC at the destination, etc.) prior to travel
• Confirm itinerary prior to traveling to any train stations, if necessary
• Avoid all protests and demonstration, which have the possibility of turning violent and may serve as a catalyst for Covid-19 spread
• Allow extra time to travel to/from the destination, airport, train station, and accommodations
• Monitor local and social media for updates
• Enroll in a Safe Traveler program to receive warnings from your preferred embassy
• Plan for alternative transportation, if necessary
DISCLAIMER and Hold Harmless Disclaimer: LSDS™ gathers information from multiple sources and offers insight and perspective to travelers. Sources cannot be validated for accuracy in every instance. Travelers assume all risk associated with their travel and are responsible for the decisions associated with travel and for their own safety. Users of this reference document agree, to hold harmless LSDS™ (LLC) its employees and clients associated with any risk or injury incurred during travel.