Hosts: Stacy Mandock, LSDS Collegiate Travel Lead /Research and Development Lead
Kelsey Diesing, LSDS Risk Mitigation Researcher
Stacy provides support to the LSDS Risk Mitigation team as a program lead for collegiate and assists in doing the initial research for travel destinations and identifying potential concerns and/or risks before and during travel. Her specialty is working with collegiate travelers and ensuring that they’re thoroughly prepared before travel as well as tracking potential risks or threats throughout their trips.
Kelsey researches and reports relevant information to facilitate the safest possible experiences for LSDS clients prior to and during travel.
On this topic: 2023 to date has been unprecedented for tornadic activity. In this podcast you will learn more about:
Tornadic activity to date and why this year has been so active.
How to determine when to take shelter.
What to do before and after a tornado occurs.
● Make a severe weather plan before you need it.
○ How will you get to a safe place?
○ How will you contact one another?
○ How will you get back together?
● Spend a few minutes finding out what the weather will be like in your area. If you live in areas where tornadoes can occur, make sure to pay attention to your local weather broadcasts and/or visiting sites like the National Weather Service, or Weather Channel.
● Understand the tornado terminology being used when severe weather occurs.
Image Source: National Weather Service
BEFORE A TORNADO-
Identify a safe shelter.
Stay alert and weather-aware.
AFTER A TORNADO-How to:
Stay safe during clean up.
Take care of yourself through community resources.
Reunification with loved ones.
○ Emergency Alerts - rundown of alert systems
■ Note: This app will absorb the previous Red Cross Tornado app summer of 2023. (Was ranked one of CNN’s 7 apps to survive a storm)
○ Find your local Red Cross chapter - can search by zipcode or state
● Weather-Ready Nation (WRN) - from National Weather Service
○ Links to specific disasters - Tornadoes, Floods, Wildfires, +
● FEMA app