Adverse winter weather forecast across eastern and northwestern regions through at least 25 March. Disruptions are likely.
• Strong northerly and northeasterly winds of 40-60 kph (25-37 mph) are forecast in the Marmara Region and Izmir and Manisa provinces from early 22 March. o
The wind is likely to ease from the evening of 23 March.
• Authorities have warned of a risk of avalanches in areas with steep slopes and a large amount of snow cover in Eastern Anatolia Region and the inland areas of the eastern Black Sea Region through at least 25 March.
• Wind gusts may cause blowing and drifting snow, decreasing visibility in affected areas.
As of early 22 March, Turkish State Meteorological Service has issued the following weather warnings across the country:
• Orange avalanche warnings (second-highest level on a four-tier scale): Agri, Bitlis, Hakkari, Mus, and Van provinces.
• Yellow avalanche warnings: Bingol and Tunceli provinces.
• Yellow wind warnings: Balikesir, Bilecik, Bursa, Canakkale, Edirne, Istanbul, Izmir, Kirklareli, Kocaeli, Manisa, Tekirdag, and Yalova provinces.
• Ground and air transport disruptions, including delays and cancellations
• Reduced visibility, especially during windy periods
• Avalanches in mountainous areas
• Power outages
• Traffic and commercial trucking delays
• Difficult and potentially dangerous driving conditions, especially on secondary and rural roadways
• Closed roadways
• Gusty winds which can topple high-profile vehicles.
Mitigating Measures to Apply:
• Check with the destination (i.e. accommodations, work sites, etc.) to ensure they are open and operating
• Monitor local news and weather media for updates
• Allow extra time for travel to and from the destination and airport
• Use extreme caution when traveling near coastal areas and over bridges and during times of high winds
• Keep extra bottled water in lodging
• Keep electronics charged and maintain contact throughout the remainder of the trip
• Confirm flight itinerary prior to departure to the airport
• Enroll in a Safe Traveler program to receive warnings from your preferred embassy
DISCLAIMER and Hold Harmless Disclaimer: LSDS™ gathers information from multiple sources and offers insight and perspective to travelers. Sources cannot be validated for accuracy in every instance. Travelers assume all risk associated with their travel and are responsible for the decisions associated with travel and for their own safety. Users of this reference document agree, to hold harmless LSDS™ (LLC) its employees and clients associated with any risk or injury incurred during trav